Friday, February 29, 2008

Lagging a bit behind...

Yippeee, I got my Ravelry invite. Ok, I’m not that excited. Let me explain…


For those of you unfortunate non-knitters who are reading this, or knitters who must have been living in a cave for the past 6 months and don’t know about it already, Ravelry is “an online knitting and crocheting community.” If you want to be a part of this new time-suck … um…I mean…online tool for organizing your knitting and connecting to other knitters world wide, you have to get on a waiting list and wait for your invitation. It took about a week for my invite to come.


So now, I’m on. I’m able to visit other knitters’ online “notebooks” all of the world. I can see what yarns they have in their stash. I can view their finished projects, their projects in progress and the stuff that they are dreaming about making. I can also share all this info about my own knitting with the rest of the world. All us Ravelry folks can read each other’s blogs, we can chat, we can form groups, we can join knit-alongs. We can do a shit load of other things that I don’t know about because….I have dial up internet.


There’s really very little that I would change about life in Maberga…hot water on demand would be nice, maybe not having a breeze blowing through the bedroom or rain falling in the studio…but even these things pale in comparison to HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!!


Life in the 21st century, no matter where you live seems to require high speed internet, if you use the internet at all, that is. Using photo organizers, like Flicker….difficult. Using a knitting organizer, like Ravelry….frustrating. Try maintaining a website…forget it. Even blogging, I must tell you friends, takes aaaaaaa looooonnnnnnngggggg tttttiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeee.


But, well, a big part of the reason I moved here was to slow down. Ask and ye shall receive.


Screw that. I want speed, HIGH SPEED. I’ll continue to wait for hot water – I don’t care. If I run out of time for a shower, I won’t take one. I’ll wait for the bedroom to warm up as I light a fire, that’s what down comforters are for. I’ll drive slowly in my tiny motored car - if I’m late for work, so be it. I’ll wear a different outfit if I’m waiting for the sun to dry my clothes. But when I want to see a new sweater pattern, friends, I want it now.

This is what I’ve been doing in that lag between hitting ENTER and getting the page I want

I’m calling it “the Dial up Blues”.

No comments:

Post a Comment