Sunday, November 18, 2007

Homes Sweet Homes

The overall response to the question, “how was your trip home?” is definitely, “I’ve got a GREAT family.”

That about sums up the whole experience. Everyone came from near and far to eat, drink, be merry, be together, be supportive, and to kick my ass in every game imaginable. Thank you, all of you.

A little photo summary…ok, the photos suck. We were too busy having fun to document it.




























Winter welcomed us back to this home. The winds coming up the valley from the sea and down the valley from the big mountains have started. I’m sure that it’s a meteorological impossibility that they could both be blowing in opposite directions at the same time but I swear the other night they were and they were converging on number 29…the roof of number 29 to be specific. The temperature seems to have dropped two seasons in the two weeks that we were away, as well. Great combo.

This of course means that the battle of wills has begun. Who will win this year, me or the stove? First scrimmage has left the score even - Lynn: 1, Stove: 1. (the rules to the game are simple…if I am warm I get a point, if any of our heating equipment pisses me off in the process, they get a point).

After a 30 minute battle to get the freakin’ computerized control panel to activate ON, I scored. . Truth be told, I couldn’t get it to work, but David did on the first electronic press of the button. I feel ok counting this as my score – you know, the whole married thing…what’s his is mine. That, and, well, I’m warm! Lynn: 1. Stove got one point for the idiotic remote it has. Yeah, it’s true…we have a house that sometimes doesn’t have heat, hot water or even water at all but our state of the art pellet stove has a remote. I thought I was being really clever in digging the it out of one of our 47 junk drawers when I couldn’t get the freakin’ computerized control panel to work only to discover this.


No ON/OFF switch. Brilliant. Stove: 1.

Perhaps you’re wondering how I’m going to tie this post together…me, too.

I guess the point is that I’m thankful for my two homes. It used to irritate me when people would refer to where my family lives as my “home”. I’d get all snitty at those remarks, replying, “my HOME is where I live.” Yeah, well, we all grow up. I now have two homes…a beautiful, quirky house in Italy where I live a terrific life and a terrific family in the US who fill, support and complete a beautiful and quirky life.

Homes sweet homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment