Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Road to Paradise is long and rough...

I said to my mechanic today.

"And it wears out your car."  he replied.

Yep.  Sure does. 

I didn't really mean to go to the mechanic today, it was just a by-product of the errand I went to Taggia for.  I had to go to the bank with the new president of the Maberga Consortium to change signatures on the consortium account.  This is the second time we've tried to do this.  Last time we didn't have the right documentation.

I was a little early for our appointment (one of those American quirks I haven't yet shaken) and the mechanic is across the street from the bank, so I stopped by.  I have been meaning to go to see him since my speedometer cable broke about a month ago but, well, it's the speedometer not the brakes so I've been putting it off. Coincidentally he had the cable AND some time to change it this morning while I went to the bank.  Whoa, what luck.  So off to the bank I went leaving my car in the good hands of Domenico.

At the bank, no such luck.  The director wasn't in and the vice director (or whatever his title is) said that we still didn't have the right documents.  Actually, he laughed at what we showed him.  He took some photocopies of the funny papers we had produced, as well as our identity cards and the phone number of the president.  While photocopying my id card he noticed my last name and quickly concluded that it would be better to have his director phone a Baesso than a Cornwell, so he didn't bother with my phone number. We left the bank needing to wait for the director to phone and then we'll go back to try again.

Meanwhile back at the mechanic's, the speedometer cable he had ordered didn't fit so I'll have to go back next week for that but he did notice that my brake pads were completely gone.

The road to paradise is long and rough.  It wears out your car and often your patience.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, my, your story brings back horror stories of trying to get me registered as My Honey's wife in Norway. It was useless. That was long ago and he's now a US citizen so it doesn't make any difference, but we sure felt we were in the fourth world in his home town in Norway. We couldn't get it done even with all the documents. Oh, well, who cares now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Oh, dear. Sounds like a no good, very bad day, dear Lynn. Bureaucracy in Bella Italia sounds even worse than here.
    Glad you are getting brake pads. Don't want you to get to the other kind of paradise, too soon !
    Sending hugs. Brenda

    ReplyDelete