Thursday, April 13, 2006

All bets in...or maybe off...

So, in my haste to get right to some knittin’ with my new needles, I took a few short cuts in the normal knitwear project planning. For those of you non-knitting readers I will give a few ideas of what you should do, but what I did instead:

What you should do: browse through all knitting pattern books and find a beautiful project that you are so in love with that you are willing to invest HOURs and DAYs of your life to making it

What I did: thought to myself “Pattern? I don’t need no stinkin’ pattern. These needles I made are so cool they will just create something amazing. I think they will create a sweater.”

Should do: go to your local yarn shop (or your stash if it is plentiful enough) and choose the yarn that will go with the pattern you’ve chosen.

I did: turned my head to the huge basket of bits and bobs within arm’s reach and grabbed a bob.

Should do: knit a swatch to check the gauge of the yarn you’ve chosen with the needles so whatever you spend HOURs and DAYs of your life knitting will actually be the size you want.

I did: not

As a result of skipping some of these minor steps, I have spent the last two day creating the ugliest hand knit sweater ever cast on.


I’m really hoping that it is one of those ducklings that becomes a swan but I’m doubtful.




I have to admit that I frequently skip those steps mentioned above (I blamed it on the needles but when it’s not the needles I can always find an excuse). In fact I have a whole nest of ducklings stuck in a perpetual state of gestation…waiting to become swans. I try to be hopeful and always optimistic but well, judge for yourself:

Ummmm. Another out-of -my-brain-I-don't -need-any-pattern-or-calculations. What's up with those sleeves? R2D2 are you there, I am a storm trooper?





It's supposed to be a child's flowered jumper (in the American sense of the word jumper) but, well, it just didn't work.





Ummmm. Ok. That there in my hands is the result of my trying to knit a plasctic bag from, well, plastic bags. It's a long story...that, obviously isn't finished.






Ahhhh, It's a good feeling to laugh at yourself. Ok, it doesn't feel that good but it's probably good FOR me, no?


Speaking of optimism (which I was much earlier) …David and I have a little bet going. Want to play along?






This is our pergola that David is growing grape vines on. He says that this year it will be 100% covered by the vines. I say maximum 70%. What’s your bet?





If you’re the bettin’ type (ahemm, MOM) feel free to place a wager as well on any or all of the above ducklings turning into swans. Remember that I have the house advantage.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 AM

    Hi there
    Do you know how many ducklings I made? Being 14 years older than you, just take a guess!!! Making ducklings are just another way of learning and if you ask me the funniest way. So just keep up the good work and remember that ducklings are just another way of preserving yarn. By the way , finished my crocheted jacket (very pretty!) and started up a mohair-something that just might end up as real ugly duckling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Hi there
    Do you know how many ducklings I made? Being 14 years older than you, just take a guess!!! Making ducklings are just another way of learning and if you ask me the funniest way. So just keep up the good work and remember that ducklings are just another way of preserving yarn. By the way , finished my crocheted jacket (very pretty!) and started up a mohair-something that just might end up as real ugly duckling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:10 PM

    My guess is 90% of the pergola will be covered. The real question is how will you measure it, GIS image from space? Remember we will be there in September to check.
    Looks like David is getting some help watering the vines, hopefully not too much help.

    ReplyDelete