Sunday, November 20, 2011


So, on Friday we celebrated the end of another year of knitting together.  Wait, I don't think I phrased that quite right.  I don't mean that we were celebrating because we were ending but rather we were celebrating another year together, that is now ending...whatever, you know what I meant.

Have you ever noticed that when the topic of knitting comes up randomly at dinner parties, as it always does...or maybe that's just dinner parties I go to...anyway, have you ever noticed that everyone's connection to knitting comes in the form of a grandma?  Like this, "knitting?  Oh yeah, I remember my grandma clicking away in front of the fire."  That's the men's response.  The women's response is almost always this, "knitting.  Yeah, my grandma tried to teach me when I was a kid.  I hated it."  Upon hearing this latter response, of course, I pick up my glass of wine and move to another end of the table. 

As it happens in our little knitting group, every member has done her part to keep the world population in check.  Yep, three grown women, not a child among us.  This of course means that it will be very difficult for us to be someone's knitting grandma forcing our wooly obsession on sharing our artisanal skills with the offspring of offspring.  So we just pick people up off the street and teach them to knit.  Christine found this one....
 

She's called Jane.  No really, that's her name.  
Christine and I let Mette have the new meat...

 

so that we could concentrate on turning the second heel on Christine's dad's socks.  Wait, I said that wrong...it's not the second heel, it's the first heel on the second sock...you know what I meant.
I gave Mette a couple little friends that she had asked me to make.  


They are gifts for babies "born in November" Mette said, 3 months ago when she asked me to make them.  Yeah, the kids came out way before I cast off the tails on these guys.

Mette made us an awesome lunch 

 
and served it in her beautiful dining room


Thanks for another year of knitterly friendship, Ladies. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I understand that "knitting" discussion out in the company of "normal" people!

    Case in point: last week, while dining at the Captain's table and entertaining the folks on our side the large circular table I was asked, "So, what do you do while you are on board for ten weeks at a time?" I get the feeling people think I sit and stare at the sea all that time.... :\

    I answered my number one job is to take care of the officer sitting to my left (aka my husband). I also have my digital camera, computer, crochet hooks, and knitting needles on board. I was sooooo surprised a young lady said: "Really? I crochet, too!"

    I love your post. Your group of friends look like so much fun!

    Huge hugs,
    Lois <-- leaving the ship for home today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike in Boulder9:25 AM

    My dear Lynn,

    You live such a horrible, awful, difficult life over there...!

    I'm jealous!

    Mike in Boulder

    ReplyDelete