Friday, August 30, 2013

As I stand in my little kitchen here in Italy turning a crop of tomatoes into sugo gia pronto (already ready sauce...sounds better in italian) my mind is across the pond in the States. 

Tomorrow my parents will be celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss.

50 years.

50 years is a half of a century.
50 years is 5 decades.
It's 600 months, 2600 weeks and 28,262 days.
It's 11 homes.
It's 2 daughters.
It's 1 dog...and a very short stay with 1 cat.
It's 2 masters degrees.
It's 9 holidays in Alabama and 1 in Arkansas (don't ask).
It's a lot of wall papering.
It's 1854 Friday fish fries and 1278 Sunday popcorn dinners.
It's 2 son in laws.
It's 5 grandchildren.
It's 14 high school musicals.
It's 2 careers educating children in 9 schools and 4 districts.
It's the passing of 4 parents.
It's 8 trips to Europe and 8746 miles logged driving between Wisconsin and Illinois.
It's 1 beautiful life full of family and friends.


My list is incomplete. I'm sure mom and dad will do their own tallying of what a life time together has been, has meant, and what it continues to mean to them.  From my perspective, their 50 years together has meant that no matter where I roam,  the mistakes I make, the successes I experience, I have had and have a home base.  I have always known what it is to have two very different people behind me to push and in front to pull.  From my parents, I've learned unconditional support, encouragement, love....and perseverance.

Auguri, Mom and Dad.  I'm more sorry than you know to not be there to celebrate with you. 






1 comment:

  1. Mike in Boulder12:24 PM

    Congratuations to your parents upon the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary. That’s quite an accomplishment in this day and time, when marriages seem to last only a few years. And congratulations to you for still having loving parents who still support you in everything (well, at least most everything) you do. Both my parents have been gone for 13 years, and I still miss them dearly.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete