Thursday, September 22, 2011

Breakfast in Maberga

Today I had letame for breakfast. Letame means manure. Yep, I had manure for breakfast today. I'm not complaining.

I was lying in bed, pondering what I was going to do with my morning...make some jewelry? update the website? write a blog? clean out the cupboard where I suspect a mouse has found a home? Then I heard the familiar sound of Augusto's car-truck-thing chugging its way up the mountain. Decided. I'll be working on the land this morning.

I leapt out of bed, got dressed (sort of... my outfit was a lot like my pj's but a bit more covered), made some coffee and got a beer out of the fridge. Up to the terraces I went.

Augusto was already unloading his homegrown letame on my new extended orto.



"First, breakfast" I said, handing Augusto his beer while I sipped my coffee.

Over breakfast we discussed our plans for the land. Yeah, ok. I listened, he talked. Augusto has obviously thought all this through for me. Grazie a Dio.

"I'll put down this manure so when it starts raining all the good stuff will soak into the land. Then I'll rototill again and then we'll plant the fava beans."

It's nice of him to say "we" but we both know the truth about that.

In another couple of weeks I will, again, be in bed and hear the familiar sound of his car-thingy coming. I'll hop out of bed, cover my pj's, grab a cup of coffee and a beer, and go up to the land where I'll "help" him plant my fava beans.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:35 AM

    If I had an Augusto like yours, I would also want a piece of land. I am so happy for you and your land has never looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Dang. In my next life I want a neighbor like you who brings over beer for breakfast and another neighbor like Augusto who brings over manure AND rototills it in. I hope that you are preparing Casa Conwelli for a massive harvest. Also, I'm seeing dahlias and/or climbing roses on the stone terrace wall in the picture of Augusto rototilling. Paolo

    ReplyDelete